- We’ll explore what it takes to get into a top college (in the U.S. and abroad) and how best to prepare—over time—to do so. This presentation will include how different colleges evaluate applicants (in light of their offerings and missions, as well as the composition of their applicant pools) and how you can maximize your students’ chances by helping them: Acquire strong academic credentials and demonstrate intellectual curiosity
- Select and ace the right standardized exams
- Shape their non-academic profile
- Make the most of summers and vacations
- Combat a privileged image
- Distinguish themselves in a crowded applicant pool
Although the focus of this presentation is strategic in nature, it will be filled with examples illustrating how to achieve each of the above efficiently and effectively.
(Note: this is targeted to 9th , 10th , and 11th grade students and their parents, not 12th graders.) Substantial time will be available at the end of the presentation for questions.
About Richard Montauk: Richard Montauk is the author of a series of best-selling guides, all published by Prentice Hall, including How to Get Into the Top Colleges and How to Get Into the Top MBA Programs. His most recent books include College Interviews: The Definitive Guide and Getting into Brown: Successful Applicants’ Essays, Resumes, and Interviews. He received a BA in literature from Brown University, an MA in government from Harvard, an MS in finance, and a JD from Stanford Law School. Pursuant to a graduate fellowship, he also studied at the London School of Economics and the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (University of London). After graduating from Stanford, Richard worked as a corporate lawyer for Latham & Watkins in Los Angeles, then as a corporate strategy consultant for Bain & Co. in London, before devoting himself full-time to admissions consulting. Since 1991, he has consulted to candidates for the world’s top universities, for both undergraduate and graduate programs. He can be reached through his website: www.richardmontauk.com.