Internships at the American Library in Paris
The American Library in Paris offers a number of intern placements throughout the year for students majoring in library/information science, providing an opportunity to gain on-the-job library training and experience. Although the majority of our interns come with a library science background, we also welcome interns from Erasmus programs, as well as students currently enrolled in a college or university program with a focus in a related discipline.
As a non-profit association, not funded by either the French or American governments, the American Library in Paris is unable to offer paid internships or offset the cost of transportation to/from Paris, or other related costs while in Paris including accommodations. However, the Library is able to provide a meal voucher for every 8 hours worked to help pay for lunch during the day.
Due to the volume of applications generally received for open positions, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
The American Library in Paris is looking for motivated, dynamic, and friendly person for Member Services intern. A few of the various duties include assisting patrons and staff at the Member Services and Welcome Desks, participating in collections projects, and shelving.
Time: From September
Duration: Maximum 2 months
Under the supervision of the Library staff, the following responsibilities include:
○ Opening and closing the Library as scheduled
○ Staffing the Member services and Welcome desks
○ Responding to email, phone, and in-person queries
○ Creating, renewing, and revising membership accounts in multiple databases
○ Familiarizing new members with the Library and the use of its services
○ Technical processing of magazines, newspapers and books
○ Processing fines, fees, and lost items
○ Managing printing and copying services
○ Booking study rooms, reservable spaces, and public computers
○ Gathering and maintaining statistical data
○ Assisting members in accessing online resources
○ Ensuring users’ comfort, health, safety, and enjoyment of the facilities
● Assisting with shelving, book displays and stacks maintenance
● Assisting Programs department with working on events (hosting and staffing, marketing,
social media, maintenance of book displays and collections)
● Assisting Development department with various special projects
Applicants are required to fill the online application form and submit a CV and motivation letter.
For more information contact the Internship Coordinator at
The American Library in Paris seeks a dynamic, creative and enthusiastic intern for the Children’s and Young Adult Services Department. The candidate should have a passion for programming, outreach services and English-language literature. For a full description of the internship position please click here. Send a cover letter and CV directly to celeste@
The American Library in Paris seeks a dynamic, creative, and enthusiastic Communication Design intern starting in the fall 2020. Candidate should have a passion and skill for graphic design, publishing and editorial design, and website and multimedia design. Interns will be working with the advancement team and projects could include: brochure and flyer design and layout, website enhancements, and other projects that would inform our audiences about Library programs and services. Interns might also be asked to help with social media tasks. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.