- This event has passed.
Writing Your Personal Statement (with Jane Mobille) (ages 15-18) (By RSVP)
21 July 2018 @ 16 h 30 min - 18 h 30 min
1. Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
2. The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
4. Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
5. Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
6. Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
7. Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
About the host: Memoir writer Jane Mobille is also a Professional Certified Coach with extensive experience coaching teens and young adults. Jane uses the tools of writing and coaching to inspire freedom and confidence in young writers as they learn to put their authenticity or “heart” on paper. She is Editor of the quarterly AAWE News magazine in Paris, “Teen Coach” columnist at online magazine INSPIRELLE, and part of the team of Young Authors’ Fiction Festival judges. She holds degrees from Duke, University of Maryland, and Thunderbird. Jane is available for personal workshops and coaching sessions. Find out more about Jane here.
Registration is required for this event. Click HERE to register. Each teen attending must have their own Library card or be covered by a family membership, otherwise the day fee will apply.