- This event has passed.
Read-a-Thon 2020! Celebrating 100 Years of Lending! (all ages) (VIRTUAL)
March 14 @ 15 h 00 min - 16 h 30 min
One event on 2 May 2020 at 15 h 00 min
The American Library in Paris and Message Paris are organizing a Read-A-Thon to encourage reading, and raise funds for the American Library in Paris! This Read-A-Thon is open to children and teens of all ages.
WHAT IS A READ-A-THON?
During a 2-week reading range, children read, and collect money based on the number of minutes they read. The donations will be used to support the American Library in Paris, a non-profit English language Library founded in 1920.
WHY READ FOR THE AMERICAN LIBRARY IN PARIS?
The American Library in Paris is 100 years old this year! We count on you to continue to provide books and services. Did you know that the American Library in Paris is the largest English-language lending library on the European continent? It is a place where people gather to explore ideas, build community and connect with other English speakers. As a non-profit, we count donations big and small, and the support of readers of all ages.
ABOUT MESSAGE PARIS:
Message is the largest association for English-speaking parents and parents-to-be in France. It is an entirely volunteer-run, independent, nonprofit association that provides a social and support network to expectant women, new mothers, fathers and parents of children of all ages. Message Paris and The American Library in Paris have been supporting the English-language community in the Paris area for years. The Message playgroups and forums are well known in the Anglophone community; in addition, Message also offers programs for older children. The Primary School Kids Group (PSK) and Tweens and Teens is proud to bring you this Read-A-Thon in conjunction with the American Library in Paris. Learn more at www.messageparis.org.
- 14 March (15h00): Kick-off party at The American Library in Paris. We’ll have fun trivia, art projects, games and surprises in store to get you excited about reading. (CANCELLED)
- 14 March – 30 March: Find sponsors (like family and friends) who will pledge (or promise!) a certain amount of money for every minute that you read (for example: 10¢ per minute), add the sponsor’s name, address and pledge amount to your pledge sheet.
- 4 April – 20 April: Read! Use a clock to keep track of your reading for the Read-A-Thon using the reading log provided. The more you read the more you raise for the Library!
- 21 April- 2 May: Total your minutes and collect your pledges. Turn in the pledge sheet and donations at the Library by 2 May to receive a certificate of participation.
- 2 May (15h00): Celebrate! Join us for the Read-A-Thon finale! Collect your certificate of participation and enjoy fun games, art projects, snacks, prizes, and surprises. Hand in your donations by this day!
Can’t make it to the kick-off Party on Saturday 14 March? That’s ok – you can still participate. Pick up the Read-A-Thon pack at the Library anytime after 14 March 2020.
This special Saturday program, and the Read-A-Thon finale party do not require advance registration, and are free and open to the public. Caregivers are expected to familiarize themselves with these guidelines when visiting the Library so that we can provide a pleasant library environment for all patrons.