Wireless internet access (WiFi) at the Library is available for members and day/week pass users. The Library also provides dedicated workstations as well as stations for accessing the Library's catalog. Printing, scanning and copying services are also available for members and day/week pass Library users.
Connecting to the WiFi
- Using your computer's network utilities, look for the wireless network called "AmericanLibraryPublic".
- The password is available at the Member Services desk.
- Using virus protection, spyware protection, or a personal firewall to protect the information on your laptop is highly recommended.
Internet Access Policy
- The American Library in Paris Internet users (wireless or through the workstations) are subject to the French HADOPI law regulating Internet use and the prevention of the exchange of copyrighted material without prior agreement from the copyright holders. The use of the Library's Internet services to illegally download copyrighted materials without the express permission of the author is strictly prohibited.
- Misuse of the Internet access may result in loss of computer privileges, loss of library privileges, or the loss of internet for Library members and users as a whole.
Limitations and Disclaimers Regarding Wireless Access
- The Library's wireless network is not secure. Information sent from or to your laptop can be seen by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library's nework.
- Library staff can confirm that the wireless network is functioning properly and give basic assistance. Staff cannot provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
- Printing access is not available via the wireless connection.
- If you need to print, please save your work to a storage device (USB Key, flash drive) or email the files to yourself.
- Sign up for a session at one of the Library’s dedicated workstations to print using the public copy/printer.
Use of Dedicated Workstations
- The Library's dedicated workstations are available for Library members and day/week pass users for up to 90 minutes per day, and must be reserved in advance.
Child Safety on the Internet
- The parent or legal guardian of minor children must assume ultimate responsibility for supervising access to Internet resources in the Library.