As a private non-profit organization, The American Library in Paris receives no regular government subsidies and is largely financed by member fees, donations and grants. Your support helps us continue to provide books, research resources and educational programs to our members and those who access our resources on a short-term basis.
Important Library Renovation Updates
The Library will be closed between 15 May to 23 August 2016 for a major renovation. The collections on the mezzanine and main floor will be available for extended checkout beginning 26 April with a due date of 23 August. Please note that no late fees will be charged between 23 August and 1 September. Items checked out for the summer may be returned at your convenience during this period. If vacations or other schedule conflicts will prevent you from returning books during this period, please let circulation staff know at check-out. Beginning 23 August, you may also renew items that have not yet been renewed through your online account or by contacting circulation staff by phone or e-mail.
If your membership will expire over the summer, please renew before the Library closes on 15 May if you wish to check out books for the summer. Your membership will be renewed for one year from the date it is set to expire. If you have a short-term membership that will expire over the summer and you do not plan to renew, please pick up your deposit from the circulation desk before the Library closes on 15 May.
If you need to return books to the Library over the summer, the book drop next to the front entrance will be accessible until mid-June. The book drop will be unavailable between 16 June and 23 August while renovations of the Library’s façade are under way.
Holds may be picked up from the circulation desk until the Library closes on 15 May. Holds and hold requests placed before the renovations will remain active when the Library reopens on 23 August.
|Sustaining||Individual & Family||Day & Week Pass||Institutional|
|For those wishing to donate in a special way||Annual/multi-year and short-term options available||For occasional users and visitors||Library access for your students, staff and faculty|
|Expanded borrowing privileges and other benefits while supporting the Library with an additional financial donation||Discounts available for the unemployed, disabled, seniors, students and children||No borrowing privileges||Discounted prices tailored to the academic calendar and the needs of your institution|
|More details||More details||More details||More details|
Benefits of Membership
- Borrowing privileges from the Library collection of over 120,000 items
- Free, secure wireless internet access
- Reference enquiries and research assistance
- Access to digital databases (EBSCO, JSTOR, Zinio, Mango Languages, and World Book Online)
- Ability to reserve our private 15-person conference room for 2 hours
- Participation in events for children and teens
- Participation in book groups, workshops and seminars
- Ability to suggest a new title
- Subscription to our quarterly Ex Libris newsletter (by request)
- Subscription to our bi-weekly e-Libris
- A haven in which to work, read and relax
- The opportunity to meet like-minded people and share common interests
Member Benefits with our Local Business Partnership
Café de Mars
11 rue Augereau, 75007 Paris +33 (0) 1 45 50 10 90
A nice bistro on a quiet street off rue Saint-Dominique, just a block from the Library. The excellent menu features seasonal produce and changes weekly.
A free glass of house wine, selected by the café staff, or soft drink to accompany your meal during lunch
How to Join
It only takes a few minutes to sign up in person at the Library. Visit us at the Library Circulation desk where we will process your membership application and issue you with your Library card.
When joining the Library please bring:
- a valid photo ID (passport or identity card)
- a bill with current address (EDF, telephone)
- payment in cash, check, or credit card
- For short-term memberships—a 60€ refundable cash deposit (required only if you want borrowing privileges)
- For student memberships—bring your current student card
- For unemployed memberships— bring official documentation
- For disabled memberships— bring your MDPH card